Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A New Year, A New Us.

Just over a year ago I decided to begin blogging about my family and our decision to become debt free.

Well, we are still deeply in debt; almost exactly where we were at this time last year. From a goal standpoint we failed miserably, as a married couple we failed miserably, as parents we fell short in so many ways.

When I was trying to decide whether or not to continue this blog I had so many things to consider. Was it worth continuing a blog that nobody read that completely ran off the tracks less than half way through the year? Could I admit to myself, and anybody else who reads this that I may be in this by myself and just can't acknowledge it yet?

I decided I would continue. I need to be accountable for my actions over the past year, and accept that maybe I can't fix it all by myself. I am having difficulty admitting to myself (even as I write this) that the family is not all on board and without at least my husband 100% on board this is an exercise in futility. Unless and until we can agree on our financial goals, we are screwed.

Yep, even just typing it makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

Here is a listing of our current debts:

Debt Balance Monthly Payment
Lawyer 2,480.32 0
NSB 863.3 0
Past Due Taxes 1,711.81 0
Gas Card
300.00 0
Vehicle Loan
2,866.51 142.20
Credit Card 1
430.57 15.00
Credit Card 2
443.33 15.00
Credit Card 3
787.78 50.00
Credit Card 4
700.00 21.00
Credit Card 5
2,211.24 78.00
Furniture Card
2,489.04 117.00
Student Loans 28,000.00 (approximately~currently in deferment)

As you can see, getting out of debt is going to take a lot more than just wishes and prayers. It's going to take planning, sacrifice, and dedication.

These are EASY for me. The planning I enjoy, the dedication I do not lack, the sacrifice is well worth it. Sacrifice is harder for some than others. Maybe I consider it easy because I'm not the wage earner.

I try extremely hard to understand the entitlement mentality. It's easy to understand that two people react differently to a given situation. It's my thought that because I had it all as a kid I really don't care as much about material possessions. I appreciate the fine things in life; what makes me different is I can do without them.

Can I get my family on board to live on Mac & Cheese for six months? That would be so much fun (weird, I know). I would love to challenge ourselves to see exactly how much of our budget we can cut and how much debt we can pay off in six months or a year. Maybe if I approach it that way I'll get more takers. Maybe a bribe is worth it...pay off "X" to receive a weekend getaway, pay off "Y" to receive a vacation to Disney World...the visual goal keeping would work wonders for the kids (and myself...I love visual aids!)

More on this tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment