Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tax Time

FINALLY...I've been procrastinating this last week. I've had all my paperwork finished, I just haven't been able to click the 'submit' button. Doing our taxes brings such mixed emotions. Between federal and state they hand us a ridiculous sum of money. Being a low income family we pay no taxes all year and still, they send us a check.

What bothers me about it is that this money would be enough to take my kids on the vacation I dream of this year AND next! Instead of being able to enjoy this money I'm busy writing out checks. Every penny will go towards our debt. Can I relax? Nope. I don't feel like we are getting anywhere. For the most part our monthly payments will not change as these bills have been the ones we have ignored for months. Even though I am committed to paying off our debt, paying these bills brings me no satisfaction.

Part of me wants to pay off the debts that we currently make monthly payments on just  to have less bills to pay each month. The problem with that is part of the Total Money Makeover is getting current on everything and then paying everything else smallest to largest.

I realize, after listening to Dave Ramsey's radio show that our debt is no where near as bad as it could be and we will be paying roughly 22% of our total debt off within the next month. What about the other 78%, how long will it take to pay it off? How many more vacations do we have to postpone? I'm sure we could have it all paid off within a couple of years, I just can't see the light at the other end of the tunnel yet.

Maybe after a few more months of being okay financially I will make the corner and see the light...let's hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment