Saturday, June 5, 2010

May was good

I guess that's the best way to put it. I have not done an official financial autopsy and I just can't find the gumption to do one!

It's been a busy time in our house. Hubby has been working much more than regular and #1's daughter is living here (she's 14 months, just over a year younger than #5)...she is dgd. So we have added to our family for the time being and are enjoying the rewards of our involvement.

I started following FLYlady again. I had found her a few years ago and although I enjoyed the slow and steady pace she sets for people who are trying to find peace in their homes and lives, I couldn't "shine my sink" everyday or "get dressed to lace up shoes." There were also what seemed like a million e-mails cluttering up my in-box so I quit her.

This time I have come to learn that everybody has different needs when it comes to buildign their sactuary at home. My sink is clean 80% of the time when I go to bed because I unload it in the morning as part of my MR (morning routine) and load the dirty dishes into it as the day goes on.

The rest of my MR is showering, getting dressed, applying foundation (sometimes color), and making my bed.
I do not get dressed "to the shoes." I've tried it, it doesn't work for me. I can't wear shoes in my house. Others who follow her swear by their shoes, for me it becomes an easy excuse to do none of it (miss one step I might as well not do any was my old thinking). Now, if I can't be a FLYbaby because I don't wear shoes, then I'll just be thankful for the lessons I have learned and enjoy the rewards!

She encourages 15 minute sessions of decluttering and cleaning. IT WORKS! I started small, only five minute intervals and worked my way up. Adding a routine to these sessions has made a world of difference in our house and in my life! I could clean all day and never feel like I did anything; now if I set the timer for 15 minutes I know I accomplished something! I give myself the right to take a break.

I have set up a folder in my email to catch all the emails from her so it doesn't distract me from the chore at hand. Everyday there is a 'mission' to do in which ever 'zone' is the focus of the week (bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, etc). It is a short mission and makes it so easy to move through each of the zones with some semblance of organization. It is made clear that "You are not behind! I don't want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are. O.K.?" This is nice to read because after missing a day here or there or 'falling off the wagon' for whatever reason that I don't feel like I have to go back and catch up...that's an overwhelming thought, never mind the TASK!

My house is becoming the place I have always wanted to live. More and more each day it feels welcoming and peaceful. I want my house to hug me as I walk through the door, and Hubby says it has already made a huge impact on his stress level and the 'never finished cleaning' feeling we have lived with for so many years.

We actually sat down yesterday and discussed the spending plan for June with great conversation. We talked about several things we want and need and began a dialogue on what we are going to spend our money on. With his extra hours we are bringing home almost double what we are used to so it's been great to not worry for once. I know I have to keep my head though because it's so easy to just 'spend until it's gone' without regard to the fact that it won't be like this for long! I need to return to the focus of paying off the credit cards and getting ahead so that times like this will bring blessings to others as opposed to just 'blowing' it...time to re-vamp the plan so I can take it to him tomorrow I guess!!
Maybe I'll do the Autopsy tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment