Wednesday, February 11, 2009

How can this work?

Well, Hubby offered to pay $750/pay period...I wondered how long it would last and was hoping that I could at least build a little cushion to have for when he figured out that there was no way he could afford that...amazing how quick one learns to walk when nobody is there to hold your hand...

For MONTHS I've been trying to explain that we spend more than we earn and it has to stop. I didn't nag, yell, or belittle. I would ask for a budget meeting, show him the numbers, and let him mull it over. We were spending (on credit cards) an average of $600 more than we brought in. Does it strike anybody else as odd that he decides the marriage isn't working when the money runs out?? hhmmmmm

The first pay period of our separation has been typical of the last few months. Now I am curious about how he plans to address his deficit this week. I asked last week what he would do in the event his paycheck was less than $750.00. He casually said that he would have to hope that he had enough money in his pocket to last the next two weeks...

Today he calls to see if there was an unemployment deposit into our joint checking account. Yes there was, $77.00. "Well, there you go unless I can have it" he says. WHA are you kidding me??

I think the reason he agreed to pay like he did was only out of guilt/pride. The marriage counselor had asked me what it cost to run our house every month. I said the bills and credit card minimums were $1287.00. He said I needed AT LEAST $750 every other week just to survive. When Hubby returned to the meeting he was told that upon his moving out he would have to deposit $900/pay for me to continue to pay the bills and put food on the table and clothes on our kids backs. In the event his checks were less a minimum of $750 was required.

As the days pass by I am wondering how he plans to make ends meet in TWO houses when we couldn't afford ONE. I know he is expecting me to get a job, and I am currently looking for work. They aren't exactly handing jobs willy nilly in this area. Two of the areas largest employers recently laid off hundreds of people each. As a single parent, the days and hours I can work are limited by daycare availability (no evenings, nights, etc). Currently there are no spaces available for #5 in the town where we live so I would have to find daycare where ever I find work. Even Wal-mart and Kmart are not hiring right now. I've made calls, dropped off applications and resumes, talked with managers, supervisors, and everybody else I can think of. Not having an employment history (except for a three year job over 5 years ago) isn't helping the process either.

If I didn't have to drive 50 miles I could go work the lunch shift at McDonald's (10am - 2pm). They start at $8.00/hr with a review at 30 days. Would even be good full time, but with a commute like that it would be a wash financially. It would actually hurt because as it is I receive Food Stamps and would lose that benefit ($141/month). It feels like trying to paddle down the river as the waterfall pulls you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment