Tuesday, March 24, 2009

State Programs

I applied today for assistance from the state. I qualify for food stamps and probably the Displaced Worker Program (DWP).

I'm not sure how DWP works exactly (I have to meet with another worker at the local Work Force Center). It's a four month program to help people enter or re-enter the workforce after long periods of absence. They expect you to spend 32 hours per week looking for employment. I am interested to see how they expect this from a single parent unable to find daycare for her children? Am I supposed to bring them with me?? Not very likely to get a job offer with a baby on your hip.

During DWP a family of four is eligible for a $621/month grant. Any child support received is deducted from this amount. Then they vendor pay utilities and such. If there is any money left over they can disperse up to $70.00 per family member as a cash grant. As long as hubby continues to pay the mortgage I will be getting the full $280.00 available for our family.

If I get a job within the four months the amount I make does not reduce my DWP grant; food support benefits will be reduced.

At the end of the four month program you then transition to the MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Program).

I can't imagine what it will be like to have $280/month to spend! I'm gong to feel like a millionaire!

I'm not sure if I shared this yet; I received notification last week about a family fund that has allocated money to needy people in the area. I'm not sure how they decided or how many people are getting this money; our family is being awarded a $200 voucher. It can be used for clothing, diapers, gasoline, utilities, and/or food.

I have been trying to figure out which vendor I want it made out to. When I think of clothing I think $200 is an enormous amount of money considering I never buy anything that isn't on sale! I won't need it for utilities because the state will be paying for them. I have food stamps for food. I feel like using it for clothing is greedy or frivilious even though none of my kids have a decent outfit to wear. That's it...a 'nice' outfit for each of the kids (maybe even two nice outfits)! This is great timing because #3 has confirmation at the end of April and none of us have anything decent to wear!

The one condition attached to the voucher is that you have 14 days to redeem it. I have no idea how to spend that kind of money is such a short time anymore!! I am going to try to enjoy figuring it out though, a treat for all of us! Even if it is just one day, I am going to feel good about myself and enjoy shopping again...oh ya, never mind...I'll have the kids with me!! lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know it's time to hire an attorney. I need to start puting protections in place for myself and my kids. I just can't do it.

I was thinking about this the other day and it hit me...I still love him. I cannot accept this new reality for our family. I am deeply in love with the man that I married. I want my husband back. I am lonely for him.

At the same time I just want to have a man in my bed and not just a one night stand. I want to have somebody to cuddle up with every night as I fall asleep. I want to reach my foot over in the middle of the night just to make a connection. I want somebody to tell me I am beautiful when me and my Medussa head crawl out of bed in the morning. I want to stand in a hot shower in the arms of my lover, my friend. When I get dressed up I want somebody other than #4's classmates to think I am hot!

UGH...I hate this. Hopefully I can work through these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment